budget 1500 hop-up - was Dolly something-or-other

To: <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: budget 1500 hop-up - was Dolly something-or-other
From: "Len & Bonnie Lubbers" <lubbers@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 16:00:01 -0700
Under the "while I'm at it" category...

I will be replacing the head gasket some time soon (during the cool season).
Which of these two options is better?  ...I have recently recently reread
all the engine mod messages that I have been saving for the past year and
tried to find www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/engineguide/index.html but the
link is dead.

Option 1:
I was going to take the head to an engine machine shop to have it resurfaced
before reinstalling and I like the idea of skimming to increase the
compression.
Any down side to skimming 0.060"?
How do I know it hasn't already been resurfaced - how thick should is a
stock head?

Option 2:
I have a 1296 parts motor (FE40085E) of unknown condition.
What are the advantages of using its head on my 1500?
I see from an old Joe Curry post that the inlet valves are smaller on the
old head. Enough to matter?
Is every 1296 head the same?
Anything I need to be wary of in doing this swap?
I see from Paul Telger's site that the cam specs are different - How would
this change things?

(Option 2, of course, allows me to keep driving while work is being done on
the spare head.)

I have a '79 1500 with low compression pistons and soon to have HS2 carbs,
intake and exhaust manifold from my spare motor.

Len Lubbers '79 Spitfire
Ottawa, Canada www3.sympatico.ca/lubbers