Re: Leaning out a Stromberg

To: rtgetzinger@scif.com, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaning out a Stromberg
From: Atwell Haines <Karbuff@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 20:39:53 -0400
Hi Rob,

Just a few comments:

1. Is the vacuum capsule on the dizzy working?  Should retard the timing
when connected. Timing is to be set with the capsule connected. If not
spend 10 bucks on new elbows/ends for the vacuum lines, then re-adjust
timing. (do you have points or electronic ignition?)

2. set valves slightly loose -- .012" gap instead of .010". Change oil-
nice fresh 20W-50 is best.

3. Needle almost all the way down = TOO lean? My car runs (and passes
emissions with) the needle about 4 turns ccw from full rich.  (5 1/2 turns
drops the needle) (I have the factory Cat and air pump, 49 state)

4. new needle: was it the same as the old one? Is the jet hole replaceable
in your carb? (It was not on my '79) Jet hole was worn, resulting in rich
mixture.

5. The richness you see may be a result of "lean misfires".  That is, if
the cylinder fails to ignite the fuel because it is too lean, then you get
unburned gas and you fail for HC. (That's what you mean by rich, correct?)
Try it richer.

6. A Cat 'way back by the muffler may not be that effective, as the input
charge has to be hot for the reaction to take place.  (That's why OEMs
mount them so close to the engine.)

7. I know you rebuilt it, but a leaking bypass valve induces air (and lean
burning). Think the referee would notice if you installed a blank gasket to
disable it?

While I don't have a pat answer for you, maybe the above points will get
you thinking....

Good Luck,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire