Leaning out a Stromberg

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaning out a Stromberg
From: <rtgetzinger@scif.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 9:01:00 PDT
This is on a '74 Calif Spit that is yet to pass smog. It now passes visual
and functional but not the emissions. Here's the facts:
Compression 1 to 4: 110, 115, 110, 110.
Full EGR system-working properly, includes stock ex. manifold
2 degrees btdc, 900 rpm idle,   Runs very hot at this setting & cools down
when retarded a bit. Indication of being lean?
Rebuilt carbon canister,    adjusted valves
Rebuilt carb & bypass valve & new needle, needle screwed down until it almost
drops off.
At idle, with the air filter off, I use a screw driver to lift the carb
piston/needle about 1/8 inch allowing more air, idle slows down. Indication
of being lean?
Smog test results: just a bit too rich at idle and at 2000 rpm

Just put on a universal catalytic converter right in front of the muffler,
only place it would fit without dragging on the ground. It is not stock on a
'74 but the referee stated he'd overlook it, he's getting to know the car. I
am hoping that the cat converter will burn up enough of the unburned fuel in
the exhaust to get me lean enough at the exhaust outlet to pass.

My question is, is there something I am missing, or is there an adjustment
screw on a stromberg to lean it out or is the only adjustment the raising and
lowering of the needle?

Thanks
Rob