Re: Update on low oil pressure - longish

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Update on low oil pressure - longish
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:02:44 -0400
Greg writes:

>The immediate verdict after all this hard work was success as my
>oil pressure was a respectable 25lbs at idle and 50 lbs at 3500
>rpms when the engine is thoroughly warm.  More gratifying still
>is that 4000 miles later, including several long (long in a
>spitfire!) highway trips, these pressures have remained unchanged.
>I think we can call the operation a success! B-)

Greg...

Thanks for the update.  I've done exactly the same job on my '74 with
almost exactly the same results.   My warm idle pressure is closer to
20psi but I think I'm fine here.  I probably have 5000 miles on the
new bearings and I added another 200 today, mostly @ 65-75MPH, no OD.

BTW, for those of you still using the idiot lamp on the dash, I had a
bit of a scare some time back when mine came on at speed.  My less
than 6 month old, single terminal sender had failed.  This was a UK
made part but the brand name escapes me...not Lucas.

In a pinch I replaced this with a sender taken from my long ago ride,
a '74 Plymouth Satellite 318.  Same size, threads and most likely a
similar setting.  Greg's post is reminding me I really need to replace
this with something newer.  The Plymouth had done 100k when the sensor
was pulled in favor of a pressure gauge.  Since the Mopar part has
been so long lasting I may go this way again.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley