many thanks and many questions.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net (Spitfire List)
Subject: many thanks and many questions.
From: WRROOPE@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:42:19 EDT
Thanks to everyone on the list for the help with the ignition switch problem.
managed to get it out by dropping the column and turning it.
The car is a 76 that has been sitting for about 4 years inside. It has a
fairly fresh paint job and new tires, new water pump, fuel pump, carpet, seat
covers, rubber seals, and new brakes. Dpo hot wired it to show me it ran
(rough but ran and no smoke) but I smelled something electrical burning.
Something got hot. The coil top has cracked all the way around. Could hot
wiring the coil caused this? Can I use a MSD coil and bypass the ignition
resistor? (happen to have one laying around). There are some electrical
problems (typical dpo wiring). What is a drive resistor?
Supposedly the engine was rebuilt and a new clutch installed. Is there
anything I should be on the look out for as I have never owned a spit before.
And one more stupid question, how does the overdrive work? I've never had a
car with overdrive   before now. I'm trying to read the haynes manuel to
understand this little beauty.
Sorry this is so long but I want to get this car running soon.
Thanks
Bill R
76 spit
Bristol, TN (how appropriate)