wheel bearings

To: Spitfire Enthusiast <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: wheel bearings
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:06:03 -0700 (PDT)
Have just been in the garage taking my front hubs apart to replace the
wheel bearings.  I am a bit stuck trying to get the bearing track out.
Haynes says to remove it with a brass drift.  What is a brass drift and
in the abscence of one what can I use instead?

On removing the hub from the stub axle I noticed that the oil seal did
not have any felt on it, how could this have happened?  What are the
implications of not having had the felt on the oil seal for however many
thousand miles?  If there was felt present it would have been facing the
stub axle which I believe is the right way round.

And finally what is the best way to clean up all the old grease inside
the hub and hoe much grease should I re-fill it with?

cheers
John & Saskia the Spit 1500
http://personals.yahoo.com