Re: opening the bonnet - on the way! (from another list)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: opening the bonnet - on the way! (from another list)
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:28:49 -0700 (PDT)
I'm interested. Especially if there is enough
clearance to put one on either/both sides. (even
though I realize this would mean some weld and
mounting mods).
My concern is not so much the ease of which the bonnet
is opened (they're really not all that heavy to tilt
open...you can do it with one hand if you haven't
exhausted yourself previous to attempting the feat),
but some way of keeping the bonnet from flexing while
it's being opened. There's way too much torque on the
stock bonnet which is the source of the cracking of
paint and eventual rust at the major stress points.

I like the idea of the linear actuated and hydraulic
systems that are used on kit cars/hot rods. There
appears to be adequate mounting room in front of the
radiator to allow mounting and movement. The lifting
device would press up on the support structure (brace
tubing near the hinge point) rather than tugging
upward on the outer skin. And you could put one on
either side so that there's even pressure applied to
both sides (no torquing). And no effort (press a
button and up it goes). But currently I don't have
$300-$500 to spend on a "bonnet lift".

The locking mechanism for the struts is a good idea.
On gusty days or if you're broken down next to a road
where 18 wheelers drive by, the propped bonnet flexes
and bounces as if it's threatening to come slam down
on you. On the stock support arm sometimes, I'll take
a large zip tie to put around the brace point to keep
it from scaring the bejeezus out of me while I'm under
the hood.
-Terry
http://personals.yahoo.com