Re: Lighter flywheels

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Lighter flywheels
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
--- Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us> wrote:
> As for the harmonic balancer, if the GT6 uses the
> rubber
> ringed body that the american engines typically
> used, it's
> really not a harmonic balancer as much as it's a
> damper.
> In which case, it really doesn't matter about
> lightening
> the flywheel.

Actually, I think you're both right and wrong (new
Shimmer, it's a floor wax, ... AND a desert topping!).

I don't think the GT6 front pulley is a torsional
damper, and I don't think it's externally balanced
either, so technically, it's just a pulley. It does
get balanced individually, but also often gets balance
holes drilled as part of the rotating assembly
(pulley, crank, flywheel, pressure plate, etc.).

Bobweights are used for balancing V-8's, not sure
whether I-6's need them or not.

The I-6 crankshaft, because of it's length, is more
vulnerable to resonance at certain RPM than I-4.
http://personals.yahoo.com