engine rebuild after the screw up! now REALLY confused

To: <triumphs-owner@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: engine rebuild after the screw up! now REALLY confused
From: Paul Tegler <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:40:35 -0400
OK who know what the ring gap should be on a stock
1500 piston?   ... can't find it in the books at this
moment.

I pulled #3 piston...  it looks good!  No gouges...rings in
tack!
I had to tap it up from underneath but it popped right out
with simple
hand pressure at the other end of a long socket extension.

Is it possible the rings simply stuck?
they are pretty crusty.   I'll post pics latter this evening
of the
cylinder walls which look fine. The piston shows a bit of
wear
on two sides but all the rings are there in one piece and
can be
moved around.

I stuck the upper most ring back in the cyl just to check
for
warpage. I can't see any light around the wall/ring
interface
regardless of where I put it in the cyl (as long as I have
it
perfectly perpendicular to the walls.

so... what's my next step?  just bite the bullet and
bore it and drop new 9:1 pistons in?   :-)

Paul Tegler      ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com