RE: wiring to the ignition circuit

To: "'John Hobson'" <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: wiring to the ignition circuit
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:40:13 +0100
John,

The standard supply to the radio built into the car is a permenantly-live
supply, which is what I assume your current radio is connected to.

The wire on the new radio that says to connect to the ignition could quite
happily be connected to the same always-live supply - all this would mean is
that the radio doesn't turn itself off when you turn the ignition off.  If
you want a switched supply so you do get this feature, I would suggest
finding the voltage regulator that should be screwed under one of your
speedometer retaining clamps, establishing which wire is the supply
(disconnect it and if it is still live that is the supply), and tapping off
from that to supply your radio's needs.

As for grounding, the easiest way to get a good ground is to find a good
solid bit of frame.  The handiest bit near the radio is probably the bolts
that hold the lower centre console panel (the panel the radio sits in) to
the dashboard (one also holds a bracket to the steering column).  Scrape a
little paint off under the nut and stick the end of your earth wire under
the nut before re-tightening.

BTW, I hope your new stereo is one that does not protrude very far from the
mounting face.  I had one that did, and broke the display when shoving the
gearstick into 3rd.

Enjoy the sounds!

Richard & Daffy
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email