RE: [spitfire-enthusiast] RE: wiring to the ignition circuit

To: "'John Hobson'" <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: [spitfire-enthusiast] RE: wiring to the ignition circuit
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:38:10 +0100
John,

Greg Rowe believes that the radio should turn off with the ignition, from
original.  Looking at the wiring diagram in my original handbook, the radio
has it's own supply (white wire with a pink line) direct from the ignition
switch (not via any fuse!), so he's probably right.  I guess one of my POs
modified this (there was a pretty modern radio fitted when I bought Daffy),
probably taking the supply off the cigarette lighter or something.

Anyway, if your radio currently stays on when you turn the ignition off, my
advice stands.  In fact, I will modify it slightly - your best bet for a
switched supply will probably be the original radio supply, if it's still
around.  Have a look around behind your dash for a white wire with a pink
stripe, possibly ending in a flat metal pad with half a plastic fuse housing
around it - that should be a switched live.  However, a PO may have removed
the wire, if fitting a radio that needs a permanent live (for clock and
station memory functions).

If your radio currently goes off when you turn the ignition off, then the
current supply is the one you want to connect the 'ignition' wire to.  The
other wire needs to go to a permenant live - the cigarette lighter is the
favorite source.

To use a multimeter to find a live supply, set it to give a voltage output.
The black probe needs to touch an earth somewhere (bolt heads that attatch
to any part of the body are good), then touch the red probe to what you want
to find out about - it should read around 12V if you've found a live!

To tap into a wire, I use a little connector device that has a small plastic
housing, and a metal plate with two small slots in it.  The supply wire and
the wire you want to feed to fit into two grooves in the housing, then the
metal plate is pressed through a slot in the housing - the metal cuts
through the insulation, to contact the wires beneath, and make a connection
between them.  A clip is built into the housing to hold it all closed
afterwards.  Should be able to find them at a car parts store or Halfords,
with any luck.  If they don't have those they are bound to have something
that will work, if all else fails cut the supply wire, and use bullet
connectors to connect the two cut ends and your new wire together.

I hope all this helps!

Richard
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email