hub replacement

To: Spitfire Enthusiast <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: hub replacement
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:14:59 -0700 (PDT)
I have just been finishing off the replacement of the front wheel
bearings.  On tightening the new castle head nut it won't tighten down
far enough to get the split pin through.  I tried using the old castle
head nut, but I still couldn't get the split pin in.  Why would this be
happening?  I'm sure that I drifted the bearing tracks fully into place.
The only other difference from before is that the felt on the oil seal
was missing from the old bearings.  I tightened the nut down and turned
the hub to settle the bearings as recommended in haynes, but still no
joy.

What's up folks?  How can I fix it?  Once the hub is done I will be a
position to finally put the rhs of the front suspension back together
after 2 months off the road!  Then I only have the other side to do which
I hope will take considerably less time than the 1 month it has taken me
to do the rhs!

cheers
John & Saskia the spitfire
http://www.spit1500.co.uk/