Camshafts

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Camshafts
From: Jim and Tami Catherwood <cgcgz@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 13:58:21 -0600
Thanks to all for your earlier responses on my generic "what can I do with a
Spitfire engine" question.  We received some excellent suggestions and a few
web sites to visit.

Let me start with a bit of an introduction.  We have a 1978 Spitfire (Spitefire
some days) and it has been parked for 10+ years.  The car has 52000 kms on the
odometer and I think it is correct.  I purchased the car in 1985 and drove it
until 1991.  We have recently moved to Calgary are in the process of
re-building the car.  The body is in excellent shape.  Interior has to be
redone (mice are the most destructive creatures know to cars)  The car will be
driven on the street.  We want something that has some pep but will still idle
at street lights.  We have two engines for this car and have not decided which
will be used yet.  Both of the engines have suffered some crankshaft damage but
this is repairable (I hope).  When the engine is done it will be equipped with
Twin SUs, Header, and 9:1 pistons.  I have a question on the camshaft.  I have
three options available to us so far:
Mild Road:        PB 2000-6000,   Lift 109 Deg.   VC 0.012/0.018
Fast Road:       PB 2500-6800    Lift 108 Deg     VC 0.016
Road Rallye:     PB 2200-7000    Lift 103 Deg    VC 0.022/0.024

I would like to know what performance I will get from these shafts and what the
trade offs may be i.e. (blasted thing wont stay running at an idle).  I have
been informed that with the twin SUs that we should be able to adjust the
mixture to accommodate any of these cams at an idle.  Comments>>>>>

Thanks for your help,
Have a Most Excellent Day