Re: Leaking Spitfire (rear plugs?)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaking Spitfire (rear plugs?)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:05:17 -0800
>Another tip:  The spaces inside the rear wings (behind the rear
>wheels) can accumulate a lot of yukky crud over the years.
>If you remove the rubber plugs in the bottom corner
>of these spaces,
If your referring to the holes in the underside of the body in the
"vertical" panel just behind the rear wheels and below the trunk floor, I
don't believe that these ever had plugs.  My MK4 (I've had it since new)
never had these holes plugged - And no rust, just occasionally a little
crud that I clean out - If these were plugged on your car, I would offer
that possibly a DPO figured that they should be plugged and fitted them.
At any rate my suggestion would be to leave them out.  Water rarely if ever
reaches this area in a direct spray as it is well shielded, and any that
would get in the area would quickly drain out -