Spitfire Dash cover

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Dash cover
From: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:13:25 -0600
Hi <

I recently purchased a dash cover ("Dashtop" ) for my 80 Spitfire.
Sometime ago I  had  stripped the original dash vinyl and covered it
with upholstery vinyl,  I pulled that vinyl off, as it wasn't very
smooth, before I put the new Dashtop on.  The dashtop seemed to fit okay
until I put it in the car.  There is now about a 3/4" strip of foam
showing between the dash cover and the windshield.  I looked under the
dash and there may be a 1/4" between the screws that hold the dash top
down and the back edge of the slot that they fit into -  not near as
much as I need.

So my question is, when a dash cover is applied is there a strip of the
old dash showing near the windshield ?   Any suggestions on what I did
wrong?  (It is pushed all the way back into the fold at the front of the
dash pad).

Thanks,

Roger Elliott