Re: Plug welding holes in sheet metal.

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Plug welding holes in sheet metal.
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:00:18 -0500
Barry...

I've used copper scraps with good results.  If the metal is really
.100" then you're not doing the body skin.  Perhaps a section of
frame?  Distortion will be minimal at this thickness, assuming you're
using .023" wire, Argon/CO2 and a lowish power setting.

I think you'll find that while the backside won't have any
protrusions, it won't be perfectly smooth either.  More likely a bit
cratered.  You can improve this by situation by welding the front side
twice.  After you close the hole, grind down the weld about  90% flush
and make a second pass, copper still in place.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley