Re: Triumph letters

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph letters
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:44:37 -0500
I remember reading an article stating how annoyed the "oldtimers" were
when carmakers switched from brass fittings to plated "pot metal"
(zinc) in the 20's.  :-)  I can tell you that the tail lamp housings
on my uncles '49 DeSoto were heavily pitted by 1961.  So I figure
Triumph was not alone in using value engineered components.

Since tooling up for a custom set of casting will likely be cost
prohibitive, perhaps you could send your existing letters out to a
re-chroming shop instead.  If you tell them what you're looking for,
I'll bet they can refinish with additional layers of copper, nickel
and chrome to a specification better than OEM.  While this will be
expensive, because of the hand polishing, it might be the most
practical alternative.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley