Brake Piston Insertion

To: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Piston Insertion
From: Scott Deakin <scott@johud.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 10:16:52 +0100
Hi all,

I have an annoying problem - I seem totally unable to re-insert my brake
pistons into the calipers without damaging the piston seal.  Does anyone
have any handy hints?  The reason for the overhaul was that I noticed
there was an outer seal missing on my left caliper and I decided to
check out the right side which had no outer seals <sigh>... anyway,
wanted then to check that the pistons were not corroded (one was).  Now
cannot get the blasted thing reassembled <grrrrr>.  I have tried
smearing a generous amount of brake fluid over the seal and the piston
before re-insertion, but still have no joy - I always seem to 'pinch'
the seal.  I have called my local garage and they will install them for
a very reasonable price - however I am a bit narked that I am unable to
do this procedure by myself.  Any advice would be gratefully received.

BTW I am not exactly the most mechanically able person in the world and
this is simply my hobby car - so if you think it's best for the garge to
handle this then please say so [;)]

Cheers!

   Scotty