Engine rattle

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine rattle
From: <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:56:38 -0700
Well 1700+ miles and a week later I am back. 8 days of driving the spitfire.
Major problems were electrics ( gauges and overdrive etc.) dropped one day as a
fuse holder did not like the heat and the carb linkage got sticky and kept the
idle high - of course this in the worst traffic of the trip at rush hour, heat
and a road accident ahead causing traffic to grind to a halt....
Mileage in the range of 34 -37 mpg  US gallons). Note the car has twin SU HS4,
pertronix, wide bore SS sports exhaust with SS 4-2-1- header and 40kv coil, so
I was very pleasantly surprised.
Lack of power on some miles long really steep hills was the only major
drawback. Also when hot and under max loading (i.e. up one of those hills) I
have a rattle than I have heard before many years ago but can't quite place.
Normal spiritied driving is fine.

Any ideas? Me thinks it's pinking. It a 76 higher compression engine running on
92 octane.

Alan