Re: Back on the road again...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Back on the road again...
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 08:09:05 +0100
In article <LAW2-F39IEAOeIiGXix000027ae@hotmail.com>, George P.
<ygpz4re@hotmail.com> writes

>Anyway, seperate problem cropped up on the way home.  I had gotten out on
>the state highway where the speed limit is up to 55 and I was doing about
>60.  I looked down at my speedo and just as I did, the needle dropped to
>zero.  It was nice and steady when I looked down and then just dropped like
>a rock.  If the cable had broken, I would have expected the needle to bounce
>a bit as the cable was weakening.  Any clues anybody???  I'm fearing a gear
>down near or in the gbx broke, which would (I think) explain the lack of
>warning.

I'd bet that the connector at the back of the speedo has fallen off. Put
your hand up behind the gauge and see whether you have a good solid
connection, or whether the connector is flapping in the breeze.   The
design of these connectors is not great at the best of times, and after
a few years, the plastic lug loses its springiness and the damn things
keep falling out!

ATB

--
Mike
Ellie - 1963 White Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV