It was all going so well...

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: It was all going so well...
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:57:40 +0100
Good Morning Listers...

Well apart from my springs giving me a bit of grief - everything was running
fine yesterday.

Until about 10 miles from home - travelling at a comfy 80 - woooohhhhh

Power loss - the revs were keeping up - but if I let them drop, they didnt
come back up very quick.

So the car limped home, and for the first time in months I saw a spit,
whilst I was actually in my Spit (in Enfield)

Basically the car revs - but it basically shudders as it speeds up.

So I got home, and let the car cool off. Checked the exhaust - not that it
could be linked, but there was indeed a small leak at the back end. Solved
that - didnt make much difference - but it was significant in my lack of
power problem before - I think/hope.

So, it must be fuel, I checked the fuel flow from the pump, and the pump
filter - thats all ok. The pump filter was a bit dirty - as I had cleaned it
a few months ago - but I dont think it was significant - anyway - the fuel
was flowing freely.

Checked the spark plugs - rather albino - yesterday they were nice biscuit
coloured. So it must be fuel starvation. So it must the the carbs, gunked up
with something. It was dark by this point. However when I get home tonight
I'll have to check. (Using my mum's Fiesta again - she says "what's the
point in you having a car?")

Which leads me to my question/s; how do you clean a carb? or... does anyone
have any other suggestions?

TIA,

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit