Gaskets

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Gaskets
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:50:37 +0000
Dear All,

Over the past week I have been racking up the miles at high speed in my
trusty Spitfire, Carly.   I didn't pay close attention to overall
mileage or average speed, but I did around 600 miles with the needle
around the 80 mark, in bursts of around 150 miles at a time.   About 400
miles into the trip, I blew the gasket between the exhaust manifold and
the down-pipe, and subsequently had this replaced by a back-street
garage in Somerset.   100 miles later, I blew the same damn gasket.

Is this gasket the one that various people recommend omitting
altogether?   If so, I'll just take it out, and screw everything back up
as tight as I can...

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671