Re: Gaskets

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gaskets
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:37:27 +0000
On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, at around 21:03:32 local time, William Davies
<bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

Certainly true in my case.

> I'm sure it would be possible to have your engine tuned with the joint
>in this condition, but I'm not a tuning guru so I'll bow out on that
>score.

Are you saying that it is going to be impossible to create an
exhaust-gas-tight joint without a gasket?

> It feels like a bodge to me rather than a solution.

If so, I would agree!

>For peace of mind the best fix is to ditch the standard manifold and
>replace with a well made tubular design (shop around as there is some
>rubbish about). Firstly expensive, secondly I know you are reluctant to
>deviate from original spec, but in all honesty the original manifold
>design is dreadful. I have been told that the 1300 type manifold &
>exhaust (single downpipe) is adequate for use on a standard 1500, but
>I've no personal experience here.

I see this as very much a last resort - for the two reasons you mention.
I'm fairly sure that I have a spare gasket somewhere, and I think I will
get some new fasteners and try to fit it, loosening and removing the
front exhaust pipe brackets while I'm at it.

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671