Re: Gaskets

To: lvaughan@pldi.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gaskets
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 15:18:08 -0800
>The competition preparation manual, page 20, regarding ignition systems;
>
>As the later US version of the Spitfire 1500 is fitted with Lucas
>electronic
>ignition designed to meet emission requirements, for racing purposes it
>will
>be necessary to change the distributor. Use distributor, Part #313232,
>which
>is a points type distributor with the added advantage of a mechanical
>tachometer drive. This enables you to use a mechanical tachometer which has
>proven over the long run to be more reliable than its electronic
>counterparts.

And in 1976 when the competition prep manual was made that was probably
true.  Electronics have come a long way in the almost 30 years since those
books were originally drafted.

Has anyone checked that the root cause may be that the front engine mounts
are a little sloppy/old/tired and causing excessive movement which
accelerates the gasket failing?  Gaskets are good, they are there for a
reason, and I would guess that neither the stock exhaust manifold nor
cylinder head are really flat enough to not use a gasket.

Aaron Johnson
Albany, OR
#38 F-Prod Spitfire MkIV