Re: Bent Spring? Photos...

To: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bent Spring? Photos...
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:13:03 -0400
At 09:50 AM 4/24/2003 +0100, James Carruthers wrote:
>Hi List'ees...
>

>Before I go and get all my wheel alignment checked, the front right
>spring needs attention.
>
>The photos speak for themselves....

I once had to replace a front spring that had gotten banana-shaped, and had
rubbed
against the shock, wearing away a significant groove on the inside of the coil.

If the shock tower is not actually bent, you might try rotating the spring
180 degrees to see if it gets straighter.

If you really suspect that the shock tower is bent, you should check carefully
(with the shock removed) for cracks or rust damage.  I don't see how this part
could bend unless it was weakened somehow.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit