Re: Glue or weld?

To: "scotts junk" <smacsjunk@hotmail.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Glue or weld?
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 00:54:56 -0400
I SERIOUSLY considered 'gluing' the panels on my recent GT6 resto
(http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/73gt6br_newsheetmetal.htm)
after having chatted with the counter guys at the local automotive paint
supply shop. There are about 25 variations on the types of glues for
different types of panels, different set rates, paintable, non-paintable,
flexible, rigid, etc. And that's just Puzor (sp?)
    After reading up on them, I found about 1/5 of the assembly of
most cars these days is glued, not welded.  Well... not 'heat' welded
anyway. Some of these glues (or should we call them compounds to be
more accurate) do actually 'fuse' the materials together as if they
were one.   Some are also quite DANGEROUS to breath!...worse
than some of the paints.

Would they work...hell yes.  why DIDN"T I glue my panels?
I had already purchased the welder and wanted to learn.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com