Re: Gear Reduction starter

To: "Kevin Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gear Reduction starter
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:48:47 -0700
I had to go to one for two reasons.  The stock starter would spin the motor
only if batter was at peak charge.  For me that meant for about the first 6
cranks after taking the charger off as I don't run a charging system at all.
When you start running compression ratios in the 14:1 to 15:1 range the
stock starter didn't cut it.  For most people I'd assume the gear reduction
starter is reliability issue.  With my TR6 I had one new starter from a
normal supplier fail in a year, and another starter rebuilt by the best guy
in town that lasted 2 years.  I don't think I've ever heard of a car with a
gear reduction starter ever having a failure.

Aaron Johnson
#38 F-Prod Spit MkIV Oregon Region SCCA