Re: Zinc Phosphate & Rust prevention

To: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: Re: Zinc Phosphate & Rust prevention
From: "Livia Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 18:58:21 -0400
Hi James.
First, we don't know of 'zinc phosphate'. We're not familiar with this
application. Is this a self edging zinc primer, used on the car? All zinc
product will protect steel from rusting. All of the zinc primers contain
high levels of metal.

Second. Reg. the wheel arches. If the car is going to be a show car, I'd
just leave them painted, but in this case, they might have to be repainted
every year.
If you want to protect them, you could use gravel guard on them and repaint
this. But, this is not a pretty application. Also, any future repairs would
be more difficult, as you'd need to remove this. Gravel guard is a textured
product. You've seen it on our cars. The more paint and products you use,
the more difficult future repairs will be.

Lastly, don't use POR 15, assuming your frame and underbody is already
painted. You can use wax oil, which is seasonal, unless you spray it into
the inside of the frame and body panels. You can also spray gravel guard
onto the frame and underbody. For this job, you can use an air pressure tank
which can pumped up at a filling station. Easy peasy........

Cheers
Liv
ship it over, we'll do it for you.............