Re: spitfires-digest V1 #1643 - voltage regulators and fuse box

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spitfires-digest V1 #1643 - voltage regulators and fuse box
From: "Steve Carter" <steve@juggler.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:54:28 +0100
> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:18:08 +0100
> From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
> Subject: RE: Lucas
>
> Ward,
>
> The voltage stabiliser only controls the voltage to the temperature and
> petrol gauges, it does not supply the tacho or indicator.  Furthermore, a
> duff voltage stabiliser usually results in a high reading on those gauges,
> not a zero reading (unless the wire has fallen off ;) ).

When the voltage reg went on an old mini of mine, the fuel guage would drop
when the revs were high - so it'd read 1/4 tank at 60mph, then when I
stopped for fuel it'd be full again!

> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:15:33 -0400
> From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
> Subject: RE: Lucas
>
> >From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
> >
> >I'd check the fuse box first, as all the things that are not working are
> >controlled by the same fuse.  Fuses themselves can develop loose
> >connections
> >within them after a while, plus the connection between the fuse box and
the
> >fuse might be bad.
>
> My guess too.  Sometime you can get the components to work again by
reaching
> in the drivers side parcel shelf and giving a gentle tug on the wiring
> harness.   If so,
> the problem is definitely in the fuse box or connections to it.  Not
> uncommon as the
> fuse clips lose their "springiness" over time.

Yeah those connections can corrode and nicely insulate themselves.  I
*think* this happens when damp gets into the connection and is then gently
electrolysed by the flowing current.  On an old mini I had this happen on
the main feed to everything.  Every now and then the car would just die and
I'd lose pretty much everything but the headlights.  I'd have to go under
the bonnet and jiggle one of theconnections on the solenoid and the car'd be
right as rain for another few days!