Re: Exhaust manifold - welds vs epoxy?

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust manifold - welds vs epoxy?
From: "Steve Carter" <steve@juggler.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:03:20 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 12:06 AM

> As to welding the manifold.  I'm no welder, but talking with many car
buddies
> at work, most manifold are cast iron.  If so, they have to be handled a
> special way, you just can't start welding on it.  I'm not sure about all
> the particulars, but one thing I seem to remember is that you had to
preheat
> the part before you can weld it.

I know next-to-nothing about welding but from what little I *do* know:
wire-feed welders need different wires for different metals.  I have a small
rig equipped for welding mild steel. I would need different wire to weld
aluminium.  Looking at http://www.daytonamig.com/consuma.htm there is no
mention of cast iron, so that means you can either weld it with steel wire
or you can't weld it :-)  The "preheating" idea doesn't ring true for me WRT
MIG welding, since MIG uses a high electrical current to cause a reaction
between the wire and the piece.  I can imagine it's true for gas welding,
simply because a large heavy cast piece will act like a heatsink and make it
hard to get the working area up to temp.

Hope that's useful, though not definitive!

Steve