Spitfire axle & hub

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire axle & hub
From: "Spit_Driver" <Spit_Driver@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:57:09 -0500
All,

I need some help.  I am a novice with a problem.  I have an '80 Spitfire
that I rescued from an abusing PO.  I rebuilt the rear axles, bearing,
bushings, brakes, hoses etc. this winter.  However, on the first outing I
sheared the axle key on the passenger side.  I think I did not have the hub
all the way onto the axle.  I have obtained a second axle and hub to replace
the original.  However, I can not get the hub to fit all the way on to the
axle.  The hub fits on with about 3/16 to 1/4 inch gap  before the
non-threaded portion of the axle is flush with the end of the hub.

The question is:

How do I get the hub all the way onto the axle?

I am sure that if I put it back together without the hub all the way on the
axle I will shear another axle key.

Please help,

Spit_Driver