Re: Inner Waist Seals

To: "Spit Elist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Inner Waist Seals
From: "Ken" <sdspitfire@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 07:52:43 -0800
It's usually called RTV Silicone sealant / gasket maker and is available
everywhere. Permatex makes a red, high temperature version. I buy the black
stuff at Harbor Freight (cheap) but try any car parts store, hardware store,
etc.

What I did was put adhesive on both parts, place them, and "wedge" both at
the same time with  blocks of wood in the window channel. Worked great and
absolutely no yelling or screaming !!  :-) Takes about 10 minutes for the
entire operation. I tried the clip routine a few years back prior to the new
paint, and, like you, determined this was not the best method, in fact, it's
some sort of evil torture !  Everything on my Spitfire that used clips of
any sort is now 'glued'. So far so good, it's been at least a year and
nothing has fallen off.

Body panel adhesive is also available at your local auto paint store if you
want a stronger hold. Lots of stuff is 'glued' on modern cars.

Good luck ... Ken C