RE: 13/60 Vitesse Clone

To: "'William Davies'" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: 13/60 Vitesse Clone
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:33:14 +0200
Hi Jim
A few other ideas to consider:

1) Use a TR4 - TR6 or 2000/2500/2.5 PI saloon gearbox instead of the
Vitesse/GT6 gearbox.

I have been advised that the Vitesse/GT6 gearboxes are weak, prone to
failure and troublesome. It WILL apparently fail if you put more than
standard torque through it or drive in a 'spirited' fashion. It will not
last with any performance increases. True/false ? Anyone any ideas or
comments ?

2) Use a 2L Vitesse/GT6 3.89:1 (if o/d fitted) / 3.27:1 (if no o/d fitted)
or custom (3.63:1) differential instead of the Herald/Spitfire 4.11:1
differential.

I have been advised that the Herald/Spitfire 4.11:1 differential provides
the wrong gearing, that it is also too weak and will fail if used with a 2L
GT6 engine.

Apparently 3.63:1 is "the best" diff ratio to use with the 2L GT6 engine and
saloon o/d gearbox (possibly even with the standard Vitesse/GT6 o/d
gearbox). Unfortunately I have no idea where one could obtain such a 3.63:1
differential, but the guts from a TR7 four speed diff is 3.63:1 and could
possibly be transplanted into a Vitesse/GT6 diff casing. Anyone any ideas or
comments ?

3) Fit a camber compensator to keep the rear suspension stable.
Joe Curry [spitlist@COX.NET] or [spitlist@gte.net] is making and selling
such a device. Not too expensive if you live in the USA and a worthwhile
investment from what I've read.  Unfortunately there's a big pond between SA
and the USA, which has forced me to look at making my own camber compensator
device using the bottom leave from an old Herald leave spring.

HTH
Chris de Wet .
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .

"Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk"