Re: Gearbox question

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox question
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 07:44:46 -0500
The gears are always engaged, what you're hearing grind are the teeth on
the synchro.  Most likely a worn 1st gear synchro or fork was used.  You
can remove the cover to look in and see.  Regardless, repair
necessitates transmission removal and disassembly.

Extreme clutch slippage like you describe results from failure of the
contact ring of the pressure plate to properly press against the clutch
disc.  This can be caused by things like having the pressure plate
spaced excessively off the flywheel, having the clutch disc installed
backwards, improper assembly of the throw out linkage.  Transmission
removal will be necessary to correct this.

>>> "Zahid Ahsanullah" <zahid.ahsanullah@ieee.org> 11/04/03 11:39PM

GlacierMy recent gearbox rebuild on the 1980 Spitfire is not looking
good.
The car is on  jackstands and in neutral when I start the car the
driveshaft
rotates. It stops when I press the clutch as it should and goes into
all
gears except 1st. In first gear the shifter feels that it is engaged
but it
grinds like the gears are just touching. When I put it in it looked
fine. I
also never got any answer for why a previously good Borg and Beck
clutch
with 500 miles now slips terribly. With the clutch engaged and brakes
pressed, the clutch should not slip before 130 lbft of torque on the
front
harmonic balancer bolt. It slips at 70 lbft. No spring are broken and
nothing is warped, whats going on here? The engine had gone to the
machine
shop for a partial rebuild but I am assured that the flywheel was not
resurfaced. The engine rebuild is perfect.

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this
communication to the sender and delete the original message and any copy of it
from your computer system. Thank you.
<<<<GWIASIG 0.07>>>>