1500 Leaking Again

To: "Spitfires" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1500 Leaking Again
From: "Greg Schluge" <gschluge@cstone.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:16:24 -0500
I have been stopping oil leaks in my 76 for two years now.  Slowly but surely
I have plugged them up.  The last leak was the rear seal. I pulled the engine
and found that the seal was pushed all the way to the crank face of the seal
plate, and the seal spring jumped off the seal lip and was laying on the
crank.  The previous owner said that he had rebuilt this engine.  It has good
compression, end play is .004 inch.  Good compression,  Runs smooth at 70 MPH.

Well I put a new seal in and all leaks were stopped for one month, now it is
back worse than ever, 1 qt per 40 miles.  I expect that the seal ring jumped
off again.  I am going to pull the engine and see if the crank seal surface
has any runout.  Any other suggestions while I have it on the bench?