Re: A-arm poly bushings

To: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A-arm poly bushings
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:01:02 -0500
The original rubber bushings (and most bushings of this type) work like this:
The inner metal tube is rigidly clamped.  All motion is taken up by
the flexing of the rubber, and the rubber does not slip against
the inner tube or the hole in the A-arm.

Clearly, it has to be this way.  If the inner tube were to move against the
mounting
bracket or the retaining bolt, these parts would quickly wear out.  If
the rubber rubbed against anything, it would also quickly wear out.

If the poly bushings are too stiff to flex, then clearly they have to
move against something.  I guess that having them slide against
the A-arm holes is the lesser evil.  It would be quite dangerous for the metal
tube
to rotate on the bolt, since it could quickly wear out and break.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit