Swaybar

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Swaybar
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:25:08 -0600
I put the poly bushings on my swaybar today. I thought it would be a struggle,
from some of the complaints, I had seen on the list. I had sandblasted,
sandpapered, primered and painted the bar. I heated the bushings, with a hair
dryer, put some dawn dish soap on the bar and the bushings went on, with no
resistance at all.

The other poly bushings have me confused, a bit.

The metal tube, that I assume will be the main pivot/bearing surface, is
pretty damn rough on some. The eight, with the a-arm kit are 1/8 inch, or so,
too long. The four, with the radius arm kit, are just right, for the a-arms, I
think. I don't know what the optimum gap is, from the poly bush to the
bracket/end of metal tube, when compressed in the a-arm. The bracket for the
radius arm, on the rear vertical link, is way too wide. Obviously bent?

BPNW said the a-arm kit and the radius arm kit should be the same dimensions
and they must of cut some tubes too long for the a-arm kits. The first tube I
ground down was crooked. When I squared it up, it was too short.

Has anyone ever replaced or repaired everything, on their Spitfire and
remained sane? It would be comforting to know.

Larry