GT6 front suspension question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 front suspension question
From: "Ken Copeland" <khoco@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:54:02 -0500
     When I took my springs and shocks apart I noticed that the Spring top
plates had grooves worn in them. The shaft on one of the shocks was even worn
halfway through!
      What causes this and should I bother fixing the plates or leave them as
they are. If I weld up the groove I'm worried that it will just wear in again
and the harder weld will increase the wear on the shock shafts.
      I'm installing new springs,shocks,ball joints,tie rods,and bushings
      All opinions welcome. TIA

Ken Copeland
70 GT6+ KC78784 (Future restoration, (Maybe a GT8))
70 Spit FDU84919 (Body doner)
70 GT6+ KC81551 (Future Spit GT)
71 Porsche 911T (Ok so I like 70s)