Help, I don't like driving my LBC with no horn

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Help, I don't like driving my LBC with no horn
From: "Ron St. John" <rst-john@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 06:36:54 -0600
Cheers one and all:

I need help.  I've managed to do most everything on my '70 Mk III over
the years (including serving the speedo and tach with my hands large
enough to palm a basketball, I still shake my head every time I read
about you guys casually servicing these items), however, I'm a bit
perplexed by this one.

I was getting some slop in my steering wheel and traced the problem to
the lower steering shaft coupling where it connects to the upper pinion
gear shaft.  Well, with the V-6 in the car this was a little more
difficult a change out than it would otherwise be but, the replacement
was successful.  The steering wheel is straight as the car tracks down
the road and the slop in the steering is gone.  However, my horns only
works intermittently (and in a way that avoids all logic that I can
apply to it).  They were working fine before servicing the steering
coupling, and I do not think that it is an electrical problem outside
the steering column.  It appears that there is some sort of electrical
disconnect or short in the steering column itself.  The contact button
on the back of the Triumph emblem in the middle of the steering wheel is
still centered on and pressing down the horn switch button underneath,
so I'm wondering if I partially pulled apart some connection in the
steering column when I pulled it out of the lower end coupling, and if
so, how do I fix it?

Any suggestions on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks