RE: Help, I don't like driving my LBC with no horn

To: "'Ron St. John'" <rst-john@comcast.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Help, I don't like driving my LBC with no horn
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:57:20 -0000
Ron,

The circuit for the horn completes via the steering column, and it does go
all the way down the column to the steering rack to complete the route to
ground.  The circuit is:

Batt + ___ fuse ___ horn ___ horn push ___ steering column ___ steering rack
___ ground

I have heard your story before (not suffered it personally, since my 1500
had a stalk-monted horn push), and it comes down to the knuckle joint -
early cars had one that included an electrical connection between the upper
and lower parts, but the replacements now available do not have this
connection.  Since the knuckle joint uses rubber washers, there is no
continuous electrical connection from one side to the other.

Not sure if you can bodge a good knuckle joint with a connection out of the
new one and your old one - and it sounds like you'd rather not do the
swap-out again anyway!  Otherwise, you'll have to attach a short wire
between the upper and lower sides of the knuckle joint, to keep the circuit
good - and make sure the wire won't catch on anything as you turn the
steering wheel!

Richard

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.