threads - tap size - mixed parts - duplicates?

To: "CARS nass@yahoogroups." <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: threads - tap size - mixed parts - duplicates?
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:36:53 -0500
background...........
...three parts, have me wondering....
I'm looking for the right tap to thread a port or two....
two pieces seem to have the same part number, while
a third, a different number.

Now based on the model year variations  the thermostat
output water fitting for the manifold connection, the input
to the manifold, and the hose connection for the EGR
valve all appear to be the same fitting on the GT6 intake
manifold   BUT..two are of  one part number, and one is
different...that being the input water feed to the intake
manifold.  I know the vacuum tap (top center on the manifold)
is a 5/8-18 thread tap NPS.
Now that's the tricky part... pipe threads, but straight cut
not tapered for a dry seal.  The vacuum tap and thermostat
housing fittings are the same part number in the catalogs.

SO... I guess my question is.... is the fitting at the front
of the manifold (for the water jacket inlet) the same big ass
3/4-14 as the rear heater valve banjo mount bolt?
Obviously it would have to be a  NPS (National
Pipe Fitting Straight) not a NPFS Dry seal taper fit
as they use shoulder washers to seal them)

My current manifolds all have the press fitted steel
water inlet pipe and I want to drill and tap it to
install a fitting like the earlier manifolds.

thanks

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com