questions on Paul Tegler's Spitfire website

To: Nass List <nass@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: questions on Paul Tegler's Spitfire website
From: "George P." <spitdriver78@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:50:01 -0800 (PST)
So I'm idly perusing Paul's website during my lunch 10 minutes, and noticed a
couple of things that I have questions on...  These are related to the Spitfire
1500 spec page.

1.  Brakes - Tandem master cylinder operating front and rear brakes
independently.  I thought I read (granted this was a long time ago) that the
dual circuits operated on diagonals - LR/RF on one circuit, and RR/LF on the
other.  Supposedly for more stability under braking if one circuit is lost.
Yes/no?

2.  Chassis data - many measurements have "(2 up condition)" after them.  What
does that mean?

3.  Gearbox - what does the "overall" ratio tell us?  I figured out that the
overall is the gear ratio multiplied by the final drive ratio, but I still
don't understand what that's telling me...

Thanks a lot!

George P.

George P.
'78 Spit