RE: Stuff to do in London?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stuff to do in London?
From: "Bill Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:34:02 -0000

I'm always reluctant to use terms like "it's a long way". In all honesty,
nowhere is a long way in the UK, when we hear of the epic journeys
undertaken by some of our American cousins simply to attend Triumph events!

> > > Also, I wouldn't mind picking up a Spitfire scale model at a toy shop.
> If
> > > USA hobby shops have nothing but American hot rod cars, I'm hoping
> > > UK hobby shops have nothing but LBC models.
> >

> Check out "vanguards" models - they may even be american.  You can get
> them in a model shop in Stratford-upon-avon, though that's not much
> help I expect.
> Their MkII spit is great! (and RHD!)

The original Vanguards were made by the company Lledo - being welsh I always
have difficulty knowing how to pronounce the company's name! They were
bought out by one of the other manufacturers a few years ago. Still
essentially a British company, but the models are now made in China.

> Isn't there one at Beaulieu ("bewlee") too?  I'm surprised no-one's
> mentioned it, or am I getting confused..?

The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu is OK, but to my mind it is
over-rated. Layout has improved in recent years, but much of it still feels
sterile to me, with all the cars roped off. It's worth taking a look if you
happen to be at Beaulieu for the Spring or Autumn Autojumble. The more
obvious omission from my list was Brooklands, the home of Motor Racing. It's
in Surrey, and easily accessible from London. Not as big as any of the
others, but the whole place just oozes history. A few years ago I got to
park my Spitfire on the banked track, awesome. Ever tried opening the
drivers door UPWARDS - very heavy all of a sudden!
        Cheers,
                Bill.

Rarebits4classics

PO Box 1232