Re: Nuts and Bolts

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nuts and Bolts
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:24:49 -0800 (PST)
Official Workshop Manual (Bentley) has a bolt
dimension(and torque requirement) list at the front of
the manual. UNF = fine thread.
I went through the front suspension and ordered a
bunch of bolts through BOLTDEPOT.COM, but don't make
the same mistake I did. I ordered GRADE 8 nuts and
bolts which I am now told is not good for parts that
are pivoting on them (a-arms & shocks). They have a
hight tensile strength along the length but more
brittle along the cross section. Where a grade 2 or 5
will bend on impact, a Grade 8 will sheer. (That's
what I'm told)
I also ordered a large amount of stainless steel bolts
for parts that don't require a large load and things
that seem to get rusty fast. (Something you can't get
at Home Depot or local hardware stores). Interior
bolts for the hard-top and engine bay I would
recommend Stainless 18-8. Not very strong tensile, but
super resistant to oxidation (very high nickle
content?) I've had bolts from Home Depot rust over
night, where these 18-8s stay shiny through months of
stormy weather.
As Nolan suggests, there are a LOT of places you can
use 1/4-28s 3/4"L. I ordered a box of 100 5/16-24
5/8"Length for the new engine, and I'm already through
half of the box because of all the other places you
can use the 5/16ths.

IF ANYONE NEEDS IT (EMAIL ME DIRECTLY), I have a list
of the bolts itemized on a spread sheet for the
Spitfire engine broken down by description. Which also
gives quantity (Something Bently doesn't do) and the
grades I figure they required.
(The list doesn't include the stuff I ordered for
specifically for high torque stress: Main studs, Head
studs, rod bolts or flywheel bolts)
It also gives what I used as a replacement...Good luck
trying to find a 1.33" long bolt (e.g. I would replace
it with a 1.5" bolt...a 1.21" would get replaced with
a 1/4" etc.)
At the bottom it totals everything up, so it might say
you need 48 of the 5/16"-24x5/8"
When I did the suspension, I just went through and
jotted down what I needed plus a few extras of each
just in case. So I don't have a spread sheet of
suspension bolts.
-Terry T.
terry@firespitter.com
or