RE: Leaky gas...again.

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Leaky gas...again.
From: "David Lover" <dlover@mn.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:32:29 -0500
To me the big question would be how well is engine running during all of
this?

I pulled my '74 Spitfire out of storage today. My 150CD (single) Carb was
leaking gas like crazy (even about a quart cup after the engine shut off).
My engine was running great before, during and after, but a large drip every
.5 second.

Turns out it was a dead o-ring in the float chamber plug (at the bottom of
my carb. Even though my Car (and the carb) is a '74, the plug matched that
of the '75. Not exactly sure why. Anyway, my plug just pulls right out (down
actually). I went to Home Depot. Bought a #12 O-Ring (not sure o the rest of
the dimensions, but it's pretty obvious comparing them) in the plumbing
Department. And the leak is GONE!

Not sure if my problem and solution can help, but maybe...

Later!

David Lover
1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500

David Mayer says
"Well...i just replaced the floats and the float valve needles in my SU's.
Everything was fine while the car was running for about 20 minutes.
HOwever, at some point during the night, the rear carb started leaking, from
the chamber as well as the front of the carb.  What else could be the
problem here?  The front chamber did not leak at all, but the rear dumped a
hearty amount of gas.  Any thoughts?"