Re: undercoat

To: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: undercoat
From: "Livia Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 08:04:43 -0400
Hi Larry,
if it's tar-related any solvent will soften and attack the under coating. Try
a product like Varsol, or use thinner, maybe engine cleaner. I've spent MANY
hours stripping down undercoating off the frame, the inside of the bonnet, the
firewall, just about any inside panel on my GT6. I applied the solvent [for
me, thinner worked OK] then let it soak in for a while and scraped it of with
a putty knife, wire brush, or brushed it off with an old brush. Some of the
undercoating needed to be scraped of with an exactor knife. It's a tedious
job.
Pads for the drill or the dye grinder [Roloc, 3 M products ] did not work for
me for this job because the undercoating is too soft. Neither did sandblasting
for the same reason.

If the coating is non-tar related, for instance if it's gravel guard, then you
will have to grind it off, using whatever method works for you, wire brush,
3M.

Good luck.
Cheers
Liv