Re: Rear axle failure

To: "M D \"Doc\" Nugent" <docnugent@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rear axle failure
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:10:16 -0700
Actually what usually happens is that the key that secures the outer hub to
the axle shaft shears - its really the only thing that prevents the outer
hub from turning, that and the interference fit between the tapers - fine
for a stock spitfire, but a weak point for anything with a bit more power -
Usually using Loctite when reassembling the hub and making sure that the
nut is torqued properly will help against most failures here - when it
happens, the shaft turns, but the wheel doesn't which spins around chewing
up the taper on the axle and shaft - Ask me how I know :)
>I keep hearing that Spitfire rear axles are fragile,
>but I don't hear any details.
>
>When a rear axle fails, what actually happens:
>- the axle shaft fractures
>- the splines on the axle shaft shear off
>- the u-joint comes apart
>- something else?
---