RE: Removing handbrake cable

To: "'Paul Grafelman'" <pdgrafelman@hotmail.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Removing handbrake cable
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:07:09 +0100
Paul,

Yep, this is a damned awkward job.  Cutting the cable isn't really much of a
solution, since you still have to get the new cable in there, and will face
much the same problem.

I have done this a couple of times (after the cable was shredded by a
flailing driveshaft following high-speed UJ failure - don't let this happen
to you!!), and I seem to remember that, with a great deal of struggling and
swearing (working from underneath a car on axle stands - I didn't have the
advantage of a removed tub) I DID get the new cable in.  It can be done, but
it ain't easy.  I don't remember any special trick I learned, but this was
quite a while ago.  IIRC the channels are U-shaped in section, not
completely enclosed, so there is a way (and it doesn't involve remove the
diff, which I was getting desparate enough to consider at one point).

Once this is done, of course, you have to connect the ends to the levers on
the drums - another little job that is in the not-quite-so-fun category.  I
used mole grips (vise grips I think they are called in the US?) to grab the
cable and pull as hard as I could while trying to get the pin in with the
other hand.

Have fun ;-)

Richard

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.