Re: Clutch Noise

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch Noise
From: EDENMA@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:25:10 EST
Ken:

The clunk could be caused by many things.  I would check your  crankshaft end
play without delay in order to rule out worn thrust  bearings.

A quick and dirty check would be to have someone depress the clutch while
you are watching the crankshaft dampener on the front of the engine for any
preceptable movement.  The crank dampener will move aft toward the engine  as
the
clutch is depressed if the thrust bearing is worn.  I  generally do this with
the engine running, gearbox obviously in neutral,  but it can be done with
the engine off, though, it is not as easy to see and you  have to restart the
engine after each time you depress the clutch.

Failure to correct faulty thrust bearing can lead to crankshaft damage and
ultimately engine failure.  I have a 1300 torn down in the shop now as a
result of engine failure do to worn thrust bearings and resulting crank  damage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Mark