Re: Hub to flange spacing

To: "Paul Grafelman" <pdgrafelman@hotmail.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hub to flange spacing
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:34:07 -0500
Hello,

I just looked at my Bentley manual.  I assume that the drum-to-backing plate
spacing is
determined by the position of the shaft relative to the trunnion (which I guess
you are calling "hub").

Furthermore, it looks like the outer bearing is what keeps the shaft from
sliding in and out of the trunnion.

So it boils down to this:  When you drive the ball bearing onto the shaft,
exactly how far down the shaft is it supposed to be located?  Well.
the official service manual says NOTHING about this.  It
just says, "drift the ball race on to the shaft, using special tool
No. S304".  Maybe that tool is specially made to drive the bearing
a certain precise distance...

The only dimension the manual gives is for the grease shield that
goes just inboard of the trunnion:  It is supposed to be 5.75 inches from
the end of the shaft.

As for torquing the nut on the end of the shaft, you can do this after
everything is put together and the wheel is installed, and somebody
is stepping on the brake pedal...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit